What Is Graphic Design?
Graphic Design is the art of planning and creating effective visualization of communication concepts. You can see graphic design everywhere, from your cereal boxes to billboards to mobile apps. By incorporating different principles and elements, graphic designs can influence our emotions and opinions. Graphic designers are visual communicators who bring visual concepts to reality through graphic design software and provides information about the products via graphics, images, and text. For companies to connect with their customers, they search for graphic designers who have done a graphic design course in Chennai. Such designers can make designs that can sell and promote products or build a new brand identity.
Principles And Elements Of Graphic/Communication Design
Reputed design colleges in Chennai ensure that they make the students aware of the principles and elements of graphic design. These elements include shape, color, line, texture, dominance, and balance. When all these are put together, they will make visually appealing content and convey a message.
- Color- One of the important elements of a design is color. It can leave an impact on everyone, even though they are not a designer. Colors create different moods and emotions, and they can be used within other elements such as shapes, lines, etc.
- Line- In every design, you can find curved, straight, thick, thin, long, or short lines. Lines are useful in dividing the space and helps in attracting the viewer’s attention to a specific point.
- Texture-Textures are the most commonly used as they help create a three-dimensional appearance. Textures can include stone, brick, paper, fabric, and concrete.
- Space- White space is quite important in designing as it enhances readability.
- Shape- Shapes can be squares, triangles, rectangles, or circles. The shape is a combination of lines, and most designs have at least one shape. Just like colors, shapes have various associations. The style, texture, color, and background of a shape can influence the viewer’s opinion.
- Typography- When graphic designers work with text, they must check if it can convey the message. Typography is arranging the texts so that they can be legible. Good typography can create a strong visual hierarchy with the right balance and tone.
- Dominance And Emphasis- can help with the design flow and direct the viewer to the other design parts.
- Balance- It is the responsibility of the graphic designers to check how design elements are distributed. A well-balanced design provides stability, while the unbalanced can be dynamic.
Required Skills For A Graphic Designer
Here are the details of the technical and soft skills required to become a graphic designer.
- Technology: Graphic designers work with various tools, and therefore they need to be familiar with software such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe after effects, and sketch. It will also benefit them if they know programming languages such as CSS, HTML, and content management systems such as WordPress.
- Branding: Graphic designers works to build or maintain branding for customers or employer. It is important to have an in-depth understanding of the things that makes the brand unique. The graphic designers use colors, logos, photography, illustration, etc., to bring the brand to reality.
- Design Principles: The graphic designer needs to have a good understanding of the design principles.
- Designing For Print: Even though the digital design is a new technology, it is good to know useful skills such as designing for print. The designers should be familiar with crop, slug, bleeds, dot gains, ink limits, and transparency.
- Creativity: A graphic designer is often tasked with creating new and unique designs that attract potential consumers and convey a message. For these things, a designer must be quite creative.
- Communication: Communication skills are quite necessary to perform a graphic designer’s work. Sometimes, the designers might have to explain a design to people who do not have a design background.
- Problem Solving: Throughout the design process, graphic designers must use their problem-solving skills if any issues arise. The problems can be related to design issues or making changes in the designs to meet client requirements.
Graphic designers have many roles and responsibilities depending on their speciality. To make a business successful with proper branding, one should need good graphic designers to help the business flourish. Know More